This article describes how to enable Password Protection and License Protection for your Q licenses. Password Protection prevents people who don't have the password from accessing your Customer Page, and License Protection prevents unauthorized people from activating licenses they have downloaded but not activated.
Currently, a downloaded and unactivated license is always valid. This means that if someone leaves the company, and they have an unactivated standard license, they can activate it and use Q under their previous company's licenses unless the license is deactivated by our support team. License Protection allows you to remotely invalidate the license before it is activated.
- Access to your Q Customer Page.
- To access your Q Customer Page open Q and go to Help > Customer Page.
- To receive emails with the new password, you must be listed on the Customer Page and set to Receive Notices.
- If enabling License Protection all users must be running Q version 5.15 or later and your company must be in an upgrade stream that provides you with version 5.15 or later
- To see which version of Q you're running, open Q and go to Help > About Q.
- To check your upgrade stream, please email support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are two layers to this protection:
- Password protection: This prevents anyone that doesn't have the password from accessing your Q Customer Page, which users need to install a Standard license, check out a Transferable license, and view invoicing information.
- License protection: When enabled, it deactivates any licenses that are downloaded but not currently installed/in use. Of course, any license that is currently in use will remain active until it expires.
Setting Up Protection
- On your Customer Page, check the Password Protection box. A password will appear just below the box and also be emailed to anyone set to Receive Notices in the Contacts section at the top of the page.
- The password is randomly generated and cannot be customized but you can reset it at any time by logging in to the Customer Page and clicking Reset Password.
- If you lose or forget your password, email our support team at email@example.com to have the password reset.
Once Password protection is enabled, you can then enable License Protection.
- Check the License Protection box to enable license protection.
- When you do, this warning will appear:
- Click OK on the warning to enable License Protection
Once you enable license protection, the following will occur:
- Anyone versions of Q earlier than 5.15 will stop working.
- Any currently downloaded, but not activated Standard licenses will be invalidated.
- Anyone registered for but not currently using a Transferable license will need to re-register.
Please note that resetting the password when License Protection is enabled will trigger the same events as when you first enable license protection: downloaded but not activated Standard licenses will be invalidated and anyone registered for but not currently using a Transferable license will need to re-register.
Once enabled, to remove License Protection, un-check the box on your Customer Page. To disable both Password and License Protection uncheck the Password Protection box to disable both protections in a single step.
How to Install a Standard License
How to Install and Use a Transferable License
Article is closed for comments.