You can get very specific in what you'd like to filter for your tables in Q.
To filter a table's specific rows and columns, rather than the whole table, take these steps:
1. Select your table.
2. In the toolbar go to Automate > Browse Online Library > Filter > Apply Filters to Columns or Rows.
3. Select either Filter rows or Filter columns.
4. OPTIONAL: Tick Add new rows/columns if you wish to add the filtered row/column as a new row/column, otherwise leave unticked to filter in place.
5. Select the appropriate row/column and the filter variable.
6. OPTIONAL: If you have ticked Add new rows/columns, you will also be prompted to enter the new label and span (if applicable).
7. Repeat steps 5 through 6 to filter more rows/columns.
8. OPTIONAL: Untick Show significance testing message in footer if you wish to not include this.
9. OPTIONAL: Untick Shade rows that have filters applied, otherwise specify the desired color from the color picker.
10. Press OK.
Please note the following:
- To remove a column or row from filtering, select (none) in the combo box.
- Combo boxes remember the last selected column, row, and filter labels. If the table questions or filters are changed but happen to have column, row, or filter labels matching the previous selections, then the current selections will correspond to the new columns, rows, or filters with the matching labels. If there is no matching label, then the selection will be empty. Be aware that the table does not provide an alert when its values have changed due to changes to questions or filters.
- Significance testing results are not available on the table due to the nature of the modifications made by this rule. A warning will be placed in the footer of the table, and there is an option to turn off the warning in the rule's settings. Some statistical testing can, however, be added manually using the rule How to Apply Independent Samples Column Means and Proportions Tests to a Table.
- Tables showing Date/Time questions cannot be filtered by this rule.
- When not adding columns or rows, only a single filter may be selected for each column or row.
- Filtering changes the numbers only within the filtered column or row, and any rows or columns which are not selected for filtering remain unchanged.
- When filtering the columns of the table the Statistics - Below are also filtered but the Statistics - Right are not available.
- When filtering the rows of the table the Statistics - Right are filtered but the Statistics - Below are not available.