When a Pick Any - Grid question has open-ended responses there will be one Text variable for each part of the grid. For example a brand image question may have a Text variable for each brand, where the respondents have provided additional images for each. The open-ended responses can be combined with the main data from the question using Back Coding.
The open-ended responses can be combined with the main data from the question using Back Coding. The process requires two things:
- The Pick Any - Grid question is first split up into a set of Pick Any questions, with one question corresponding to each of the Text variables containing the open-ended responses. In the brand image example this would mean one Pick Any question for each brand.
- The open-ended responses are separated Text questions and NOT combined into a Text - Multi.
Starting with a Pick Any - Grid question, the steps are as follows:
- Make a copy of the variables from the grid by highlighting the rows in the Variables and Questions tab, right-clicking, and selecting Copy and Paste Variables > Exact Copy.
- Make a new Pick Any question for the variables corresponding to each of the open-ended response variables by selecting those variables, right-clicking, choosing Set Question with the Question Type or Pick Any.
- Make sure that the Variable Labels from the new Pick Any questions are identical.
- Highlight the Text variables for the open-ended responses.
- Right-click and select Insert Variables > Code Text > New Code Frame.
- When prompted to specify the type of question, select Pick Any - Grid (Each response can be classified under multiple codes) and click OK.
- Select Inputs and Back Coding.
- For each row, select the appropriate question in the Corresponding back-coding questions section and click OK.
- Code the responses as normal.