This article describes how to use a built-in QScript to check your data file for common errors with the variables in your data set.
A data file loaded in Q.
This script should be run immediately after importing a data file (i.e., prior to any data cleaning being undertaken in Q).
To run the script, select Automate > Browse Online Library > Preliminary Project Setup > Check for Errors in Data File Construction.
The script generates a table of any issues found, along with a list of the names of the variables that have issues. Any questions whose variables have issues will be added to the report.
Specifically, this QScript does the following:
- Checks to make sure the variable types appear sensible.
- Checks if any Pick One - Multi questions should be set as Pick Any - Compact questions.
- Checks for incorrect Missing Data settings in binary variables.
- Checks for variables with blank labels.
- Checks for Text variables storing multiple response data separated by commas.
- Checks for the presence of a unique ID variable.
- Checks for demographic variables with incomplete data.
- Checks for variables containing only a single possible value.