A great place to get started is to watch Q in action. We have a set of videos which cover the key concepts for working in Q:
Getting Started With Q is a quick overview of the basic workflow in Q. It will take you through the process of starting a project, through to setting up your tables, to exporting your results to PowerPoint.
Creating and Modifying Variables introduces the key concepts of how Q organises your data, as well as basic methods for modifying the way your data is set up and creating new variables.
Creating Tables in Q covers the range of options that are available for creating tables. This includes creating banners and generating large batches of tables.
Working With PowerPoint takes you through the main options for creating and updating PowerPoint documents from Q.
For a more modular training experience, you can check out our Video Training page for a series of short videos covering the most basic and some advanced features of Q.
Q has a built-in training system that allows you to learn and practice the key techniques on real data sets. This is available in Q by selecting Help > Online Training. There you will find more than 100 Online Training modules, organized by feature, ranging from the very basics to the more advanced techniques.
This system is free to use. Once you have Q installed, select Help > Online Training and a new page will open up in your web browser. The first time you use the Online Training you will need to create a training account with a username and password. This will keep track of your training progress. When you use a module, the instructions will open side-by-side with Q. The training system will check that you have successfully completed the steps in Q before moving on to the next step.
While you can complete the modules in any order, two recommended paths to take through the training modules (one shorter and one longer) can be found in our Self-Training Programs.
Custom Paid Training course
We offer the following training course for new customers as part of their Implementation Process. Please see the Implementation page for more details on the process. The prices shown below are for online delivery with a web meeting involving you and your Customer Success representative.
|Pricing (excluding applicable taxes)
|Stage 1: Data Review and Optimization
|Here we look at how we can help you optimize your data file to make your analysis much easier and faster.
|Stage 2: New User Training
|This the standard training course given to 95%+ clients. It focuses on setting up a project with your optimized data in Q. It takes 3-hours which can be taken in 1 or 2 sessions.
Contact your Customer Success representative to organise your implementation and book the training.
Face-to-face training is also possible for an additional USD 500 plus any travel costs and applicable taxes.
Creating your own training course
- Download the Q Cheat Sheets and modify them to meet your needs.
- Prepare a training plan. A good strategy for doing this is:
- Identify a data set you wish to use for the training. Ideally, you want a data set that allows you to demonstrate all topics on the Q Cheat Sheets that you wish to cover in the training.
- Set up the data yourself, working your way through Basic Workflow For Checking and Cleaning a Project, making sure you can identify and can resolve any issues that will arise during the training.
- Make a copy of the Q Cheat Sheets, or, a new document, which clearly links each of the topics that you wish to cover in the cheat sheets with the best example in the questionnaire.
- Plan the training plan in a way that permits you to check off things as you go, so you can easily see any topics that need to be covered. Generally, this means either printing it out or using a program like OneNote which allows you to have tick boxes.
- Make sure that you can see the screens of people that you are training, and regularly check that everybody is caught up as, if you instead just "broadcast" (e.g., show a series of slides, or, demonstrate what you are doing), generally people will only tell you they are lost when it is too late to recover.
- During the training work your way through the training plan, crossing off topics as you complete them.