There are a number of ways to remove variables in Q. The method used depends on your specific needs.
Deleting variables created in Q
Variables that have been created in Q will have their variable name shown in the Variables and Questions tab in a black font. If the variables have been created in Q, just select them in the Variables and Questions tab, right-click and select Delete Copied or Constructed Variable(s).
Hiding variables and questions so that they are not shown on the Outputs Tab
In the Variables and Questions tab, press the button for the variables that you wish to hide.
Moving variables in the Variables and Questions tab
In the Variables and Questions tab, select the variables that you wish to hide and press the which will move them to the end of the file and thus put them at the bottom of all lists of variables used in Q. That is, they are not actually hidden but they are out of sight for most purposes.
Deleting variables from the raw data
If you want to delete variables that are in a raw data file, you can do this by:
- Open a new instance of Q.
- Import the data file via File > Data Sets > Add to Project, selecting No to any questions.
- Hide the variables you wish to have deleted using the Hide method described above.
- Select Tools > Save Data as SPSS/CSV File and save it to somewhere appropriate.
- Select File > Data Sets > Update > select current data file in project.
- Select the file created at Step 4 and import the modified data file.